The Midland Club, originally known as the Federal Club, was founded in 1880 and chartered in 1885. The membership moved to the current site at 176 Oxford Terrace in 1934, after outgrowing their Worcester St premises.
The Midland Club still retains its architectural significance as an example of an interwar renaissance palazzo designed by the firm of Collins and West. Fronting the Avon River, with a sun drenched northwest aspect, 176 Oxford Terrace is superbly located in the heart of the new Christchurch central business district. Set within the Convention Centre precinct, the site faces the many new office buildings built since the 2011 earthquakes.
The building is perfectly positioned to once again be the ‘go-to’ location for both day and night hospitality and business in the heart of the new city.
The structure of 176 Oxford Terrace has been strengthened to 100% of current building code and brought back to its former glory with a full restoration of its many heritage features including Timber wall paneling, feature fireplaces, detailed corniced ceilings, fully operating caged lift and grand staircase.